The Victorian Blind Cricket Association (VBCA) is the home of blind cricket in Victoria. Blind cricket was invented in Melbourne in 1922. The world’s first sports ground and clubhouse for blind people was developed at Kooyong, Melbourne in 1928 and is still used today as the home of the VBCA.
The Association now has four clubs and approximately 70 visually impaired and blind members and several volunteers.
The game of blind cricket is a version of the game which has been adapted so that it can be played by blind and partially sighted players. The pitch is made of concrete and measures the same length and width as used in sighted cricket. The boundaries are measured 40 metres in a circle around the pitch and indicated by a white line with orange witches hats at intervals.
The current ball used is made of white plastic with metal washers inside to give the ball an audible sound when bowled or thrown. The previous ball used was made of black nylon tubing woven around a wire frame. Inside this ball were bottle tops and lead weight to give the ball an audible sound when bowled or thrown. The original ball that was used in the first interstate blind cricket match in 1928 was made of cane wicker and it had metal pieces inside that made a noise when thrown.
All bowling is in underarm. When fielding the ball can be returned either underarm or overarm. The bat is the same as used in sighted cricket. The stumps are made of metal and welded together and coloured either orange or yellow.